Report | Future Cities
New Zealand Transaction Monitor
Investment Market Trends
October 5, 2023 5 Minute Read
- During H1 2023, the total value of commercial and industrial investment transactions reached $1,278 million across 59 sales in the three main centres. It was down by $374 million compared to the previous six months.
- Low sales volumes reflect below average levels of buy side liquidity compounded by the continued stickiness of a wide bid ask gap.
- The industrial sector was the most active during H1 2023, followed by development site/land sales. Retail also remained active, but the office sector was subdued.
- Private investors, both as sellers and as buyers, were the most active during H1 2023 although overall, the private investor category was a net seller. Listed vehicles and managed funds were also net sellers in H1.
- Overseas investor activity was net positive to the tune of $93 million. Overseas investment was by private high net worth investors, originating from a variety of locations across Australia, Asia and Europe.